Sunday, August 5, 2007

It Is Time For A New Approach

91% of Americans live in places at moderate-to-high risk of earthquakes, volcanoes, tornadoes, wildfires, hurricanes, flooding, high-wind damage or terrorism. Odds are that nine out of ten of us will be directly and significantly impacted by one of these major events over a reasonable period of time. Add to this list of hazards the risk of failing infrastructure and everyday events such as fires, and we should have sufficient motivation to plan, prepare, and mitigate these potential risks in such a way that our individual, corporate, and national resiliency is enhanced. We should be motivated, but we aren't.

It is time for a new approach. I'm tired of falling bridges, collapsing freeways, and terrorism warnings that give me no practical guidance on what I can do for my family or my business. I'm tired of feeling like we've just about used up our substantial national inheritance. I'm tired of politics in lieu of statesmanship and commonsense. So, I think its time to do something more.

Citizens and businesses must become more "crisis ready", able to flexibly and proactively navigate the shoals guaranteed to be in front of us. Our nation must become more resilient. Are you prepared? Is your business? Do you know the existing hazards in your community, in your State? Do you have not just the personal tools, but the essential mindset that will allow you to nimbly react in a crisis?

If you are an individual, you need tools (a good emergency plan, real disaster kits) but you will benefit more from talking through possible crisis events with your family and practicing your plan than you will from the back-pack with a first aid kit and a few power bars. Does it seem like too much hassle in an already busy life? Do you say things like "I know its important, but..."?

If you are a business, particularly a small business, you are statistically unlikely to have a business continuity plan. Does it seem overwhelming? Too busy running the business to focus on protecting it? Know you need to plan for crisis, but have no idea where to start? What about insurance --has your insurance kept up with your growing business? Did you know that properly executed crisis management planning can increase your competitiveness? Do you know how personally prepared your employees and their families are? Did you know that many states legally require you as an employer to show you've made efforts to safeguard employees from known hazards such as earthquake and pandemic influenza?

My hope is to use this blog as a forum to discuss these issues, maybe even round up useful resources and common-sense ideas for how to move forward to a more ready and resilient state of affairs. It's time.

9 comments:

SophiaZoe said...

WELCOME! WELCOME! WELCOME! To the wonderful world of blogging.

You have so much to offer the wider community and I am truly pleased to see you take the plunge.

I learned something as well: I never realized that 91% of us live in a disaster-likely zone, a statistic that never reached my awareness. Personally, I know I live in one: hurricanes and earthquakes, but it just never dawned on me that most everyone else suffers a risk as I do, although perhaps not to the same hazards.

I look forward to all of your future insights and suggestions. Yours is a voice we are well served to "hear".

SZ

S. Edwards said...

Thank you SZ! That little statistic is from your neck of the woods and the very bright people at the Hazards & Vulnerability Research Institute at the University of South Carolina.

Ajax said...

It feels better to do something proactive than just wait for something to happen. I like this idea. I have a question, though. What is the right amount of time to set aside materials for? I have heard everything from 3 days to 3 weeks.

Thanks, ABJ

S. Edwards said...

ABJ -- Great question! Unfortunately there is no one "answer" from public agencies. Over the last few years recommendations have shifted away from three days to more current recommendations of a week or two. My personal rule of thumb is to start with at least a weeks worth of groceries and really great "disaster kits" for home, office, and car. The key to success is to know you don't have to do it all at once, you can increase your preparedness steadily over time. I'll be posting more on individual approaches soon (complete with some truly exceptional links).

Snicklefritz said...

Your right! It is time for a new approach. And, I know you will lead the way. I am looking forward to your leadership.

Snick

Mary Ann said...

Welcome!

I really like what you've said about "talking through possible crisis events with your family and practicing your plan".

Preparations are great, but if you don't know how to use or cook with your emergency essentials your planning is somewhat in vain. I'm looking forward to your blogs.

seazar said...

Welcome!

Looking forward to your insights and advice!
Seazar

Scott McPherson said...

Welcome, dude! We ahve probably plowed some of the same ground. Look forward to your posts.
Scott

naomi said...

I look forward to reading more.

I'll check back often.

Thanks for sharing your orginizational skills with those of us who are lacking in this area.
(like me for one!)

Best of luck.